20 August 2010

Technology Turmoil

Do you remember the days when the house phone was all you used?  You might have had a few in each room, even the cordless phone that you were constantly trying to find?  Do you remember when people actually called your house and that was the point in time in which you 'caught up' with people. 

Let's switch to the year 2010.  We have one house phone.  The ringer is turned off.  No one knows us in Miami, so the only people calling would be salespeople.  My cell phone has a (214) area code, which happens to be Dallas.  But, I've had it for over 10 years and I'm not going to change it.  Kyle has his cell phone.  I have two - one for work and one personal.  We rarely answer each other's phones.  Olivia knows about all three phones and can distinctly tell the difference between all of them.  Including their purpose, their ring tones and the games (apps) on each one. 

I don't really 'remember' being taught to use a phone.  But, this last year, Olivia was taught about '911' in school.  She knows that is the number you dial when someone or something is in trouble.  Great, right?  Easy enough concept. 

But, we don't use our phone.  Our iPhones are touch screens.  They do not have 'key pads' that you can touch and feel.  My blackberry is like Fort Knocks and I don't have a choice to change it.  The company makes me change the password every few months.  I can't even remember what my password is from time to time.  But, it has a keypad.  Kind of.  The number buttons are mixed with letter buttons. 

So, I woke up one day panicking that I needed to teach Olivia how to use the phone.  What if something happens and she needs to call out?  What if she decides one day in the near future that she wants to talk to someone?  She'll talk on the phone now, but she doesn't answer our cell phones.  It's not like a house phone ringing.  We don't all run at once.  We see who's phone is ringing and ignore it if it's not the 'our' phone. 

Here are a few challenges Kyle and I encountered with technology in the year 2010.  Any and all suggestions/recommendations/helpful hints are appreciated at this point:

- Olivia knows how to maneuver an iPhone.  Thankfully.  And, kids catch on quick, so she got it down in no time how to find the key pad. 
- The first time she practiced, she asked to dial 'Mimi'.  Not a problem.  I've known that number since I was 10. 
- The second number she asked to dial was my sister.  Again, not a problem. 
- The third number she asked to dial was her friend, 'Katie's'.  Hmmm.  Now it gets tricky.  'Katie's' mom is Jannea.  I've known Jannea as long as I've had a cell phone.  Therefore, the only way I call Jannea is FROM my cell phone.  I simply go into the directory, find Jannea's name, and hit 'send' for her number.  Olivia can't spell.  And even for the few words she does recognize, CAT and DOG are not going to get her far on the phone.
- Roadblock.  See above.  So, now I have to memorize everyone's phone numbers??
- Enter Kyle.  I fill him in on what's going on.  He says "Easy.  Just teach her how to go in my phone and if she wants to call you, she can look under Favorites and hit Mom".  Imagine the lightbulb going off at this point.  To Kyle, I'm not his 'Mom'.  His 'MOM' is his 'Mom'. 
- I need a drink at this point. 
- Can you see where this is going?  Has anyone else experienced this issue? 

We finally came up with a temporary solution.  We selected a few names to put in each of our 'Favorites' folder.  Olivia knows that she can go there and dial anyone there and talk to them.  So, if you get a random call from a 4rd old one day.  Beware.  You're in the Favorites folder. 

But, it still doesn't solve the problem of teaching her how to dial people she wants to talk to.  Outside of the 8 numbers I actually have memorized. 

******************************
Few updates:

- We signed Olivia up today for soccer.  Wish us luck on her first 'team sport'.  It's co-ed.  We'll see how it goes.  It starts Sept 24th.  Our days of freedom are over.  We will now have practice two days a week and a game every Friday or Saturday.  I'm secretly excited though to see how it goes.
- The newest Lane member is getting ready.  I'm 1cm dilated and working my way towards labor.  I only have two weeks left, technically.  The Dr seems to think I'll come slightly early.  It's like a weatherman's forecast.  With only two weeks left, how can he really be wrong? 
- We're taking Olivia to 'Sibling' class tomorrow at the hospital.  They teach her the reality of being a big sister.  We'll see if she's impressed. 

Have a great weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment