16 June 2010

Ending My Last Trip with a .....

Rumble.  Yes, my last business trip would have to prove to be eventful.  I got to experience my first earthquake.  A 5.7 at that. 

5.7....Since I am an 'earthquake novice', I don't really know where to put it on the scale.  It sounds big, it felt scary and it lasted a long, long time.  No damage, which was very good. 

As mentioned before, I was in San Diego.  Comfortably walking around my hotel room, getting ready to wind down for the evening.  It was about 930pm pst, but 1230am to my body.  Just wrapping up some final work things for the day. 

When...the building started to sway back and forth.  At 6.5 months pregnant, your body has a tendency to play tricks on you.  So, it took me a very long time to realize what was happening.  And, I did not do what you're supposed to do.  I did not stand in a doorway or get in the bathtub.  I froze.  Swaying.  I think the building swayed 2 feet in either direction.  It lasted about 2 minutes, but felt like 2 hours.  I was with two other people and got emails asking if it was in fact an earthquake that was occurring.  Nothing shook really, like you see 'in the movies'.  It just swayed.  And rumbled a bit.  But, no glass to knock around like you always 'hear' when they show earthquakes. 

I grabbed my phone and my room key and went out into the hallway.  No one.  Nothing.  just silence.  The elevators were working, so I decided it was better to take my changes there than hike it down 14 flights if not necessary.  The weirdest part was walking into the lobby.  The bar was right there and there were about 10 people talking, hanging out, still enjoying their cocktail.  Like. Nothing. Happened.  I felt like I was in the making of a Twilight Series episode.  It was so weird.  Then, a few other startled people (like me) started getting off the elevator.  We all gathered together asking the same thing.  Again...'earthquake novices'.  A manager assured us this was what happened and they've been going on every week since the 7+ one hit the CA/Mex border over Easter.  Glad they warned us! 

Later, I watched the news and they couldn't decide if this was a 'new one' as it was so big or if it was in fact an after shock from the Easter earthquake.  All I know is this....the buildings in San Diego are made for this and they hold up well.  They did what they were supposed to do.

I would prefer not to go through one again. 

I hope this doesn't mean I have to experience a hurricane this year.

1 comment: