19 May 2010

Oh So Glamorous....

That would be the joys of business travel.  I'm in Bermuda.  Here's my story of how I got here. 

Flew out of Miami yesterday.  Miami has to be THE worst airport in the world.  And, I really do mean that with all sincerity.  People hate DFW because there are so many terminals.  But, at least the 'friendly folk' in TX make it easy to get from one to the next.  Miami...well, they just make you walk.  Like 3 miles to get to your gate.  And, if you're leaving from Terminal E, you have to check in at Terminal D...and then walk.  The only entrance into Terminal D is at Gate 25.  It ends at Gate 51.  There's no tram, buses, moving sidewalk or anything of the sort to help you get there.  So, at 6 months pregnant and still traveling, I decided to check my bag.  (Can you see the suspense building already?) 

Boarded at 12:50pm for a 1:20pm flight.  Get on board, check email on iPhone and get email that says we're delayed until 2pm.  Hmm???  Why did we just board.  Flight attendant taking a dead-head next to me, so I ask.  He asks.  Weather in NY and they are staging our landing.  Nice.  Why, again, did we board.  I'll get on with the story....

So, we're delayed about 1 1/2 hrs getting out of Miami.  They make up some time in the air and we land only 30 min late.  This means that I only have 30 min to make my connection at JFK.  Make it.  Worried now about bag making it.  Not to worry though....we were delayed 2 hours.  Once we boarded.  Again.  At the gate.  So, because I have a window seat, I can see all the last minute bags being loaded.  Feel better.  Start heading to runway and see that there are 15 planes in front if us.  Oh....the joys of travel. 

Land in Bermuda after 10pm.  And....of course.  Every bag makes it off, except mine and a couple's from Montana.  Here's the great thing about travel to Bermuda.  There's one flight a day on American from JFK.  One.  One, I tell you.  And, it lands at 9pm every night.  (when on time).  I have a business meeting at 9am...that means right away, I know I'm in trouble. 

I'm also in Bermuda.  Have I told you that?  The highest GDP country in THE world.  A 24 hr Wal-Mart doesn't exist.  Nothing's open past 10pm.  It's now 11am.  There's no Target so save me.  So, I accept reality and we head to the hotel. 

We get to the hotel....and, they overbooked.  We're the last ones there drawing the short straw.  So, we get 'reassigned' to the property on the other side of the island.  We take the trek over there.  It's late, we're tired.  I have nothing.  And, I'm very aware of it.  Thinking already how I'm going to look presentable in the morning for this meeting.  No makeup, no hair stuff.  no brush.  All I get from the hotel is a toothbrush, razor, toothpaste and a comb.  I'm not a man.  That won't work. 

So, it's after 1am when I get settled.  I set my alarm for 715am.  At 6am, I wake up to the smell of bacon.  They put me right above the kitchen.  I really like bacon.  And, would enjoy it for breakfast.  But, my idea of waking up....not to the smell of bacon seeping in my room. 

I checked the website and the 'lost baggage' number all day long.  No sign of my baggage.  I finally got a break in the day.  (Meeting went well and lost baggage always makes for a good ice breaker).  Turns out the benefit of being stuck in Bermuda without baggage is that there's a Benetton down the street and it actually has a Maternity section!!  Who knew??  Turns out it's about 5 items, but enough for me to get an outfit for the dinner I have tonight.  Bermuda is also not a cheap place to lose your luggage.  $200 at Benetton.  $20 at the drugstore just for mouse and hairspray.  These are not fancy toiletries kiddos.  I was able to get all the essentials to at least tide me over until I get to NY tomorrow.  Once there, I know I'm in good shape...except for my contacts.  I wear daily disposables and I'm just praying they make it the three days.  And, the prenatal vitamins I need.  Small things, right? 

Funny part too.  I finally get to take a shower after running all my errands.  Could not wait!!  Get in....the housekeeper decided mine was a good room to play a trick on apparently....After all, everything else was going right.  The 'shampoo' and 'conditioner' that I saw in the shower were actually shower gel and body lotion.  Really???  Soaking wet, I have to get out and call down to housekeeping for them to run up the actual products one would use in the shower!! 

So, for all of you out there (ahem...Kyle...are you listening?) business travel definitely has it's perks.  Today is not one of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment