05 May 2010

My Inner Fish....

Olivia started swim lessons this week.  She's doing great and is on her way to becoming her own fish in the water.  She adores 'Molly' her teacher and even says she wants to go every day for the rest of her life.  This makes me very happy. 

The problem is me.  See, she takes lessons at a nearby high school that happens to have 'club' swim practice going on at the same time as her lessons.  The pool, which is outside, is packed with kids.  Swimming, practicing, doing drills, going up the lane on the right doing a flip turn and then back on the right.  Practicing all the strokes.  In swimming 'terms', that would be 'butter, back, breast, free'.  It's beautiful!  I'm drooling with envy watching these kids.  I want to be there.  In. the. pool.  Practicing.  Swimming.  Getting a great work out in. 

Shortly after we moved here, I researched pools to join so I could continue swimming.  There's a program called 'Master's' swimming that is for anyone over college-age that wants to continue practicing in a competitive and coached environment.  Traffic is horrendous and I could not find any pool that was even remotely convenient to work or home.  So, I gave up.  I looked for a gym with a good pool, but they are usually shorter than competitive pool lengths and that gets a little annoying.  The minute you get your momentum going in the lane, you have to turn around. 

Well, two things.....the 'coach' of the club swim team happens to hail from UT.  Yes, he bleeds orange and is a Longhorn.  He gave me the 'Hook 'Em' the other day as I was leaving.  So, today at Olivia's lesson, I went up and asked him if he knew of any Master's groups nearby. 

Guess what??  They have it at this pool!!!  It's literally 1 mile from our house.  I'm not kidding.  They practice in the morning from 4:45am-7:30am and again in the evenings.  Evenings don't work for me because that's family time.  But, the morning is perfect!!!  I can go work out, come home and get ready and then head to work.  I couldn't ask for a better scenario. 

Except....I'm almost 6 months pregnant!!  Do you think it would be a little odd if all of a sudden I show up for the first time with a protruding belly?  Swimming is supposed to be great for you when you're pregnant, but you're also only supposed to continue what you were doing before.  I wasn't swimming.  Not for the past year, that is.  And now with the extra weight, I'd be out of breath in one lap. 

Long term, good news.  But, that doesn't solve the fact that I now have this burning desire to get in the pool and get a good swim in....and I can't!  I can't even contain the drool when I'm there.  Today, Kyle turned to me and said 'Are you even watching our daughter in her lesson?  You just seem to watch the other kids swimming.' 

Envy.  That's what it's called.

No comments:

Post a Comment