05 March 2010

Genes Can Look Very Different...and be very underappreciated!

And no, I don't mean the kind you wear.  Not a play on words above. 

My mom came to visit this past week and I had a startling revelation.  One that is very black and white and gives me pause to think about my own child(ren). 

My mom was a teacher by trade all of her entire adult life.  I say 'by trade' and 'adult life' for two reasons.  First, the majority of her career was spent teaching kindergarten, but in addition to that, she taught numerous other ages and studies (science, preschool, summer camps, etc).  And, although she technically retired almost 10 years ago, she has never walked away from the field.  It is in her blood. 

From a very early age, I knew that I would not be a teacher.  My high school drill team instructor even stood up at the Senior banquet and said something about my business tendencies as she introduced me.  It was evident then that this was my field.  I recently found my high school yearbook and in the line where it says 'In 10 years I will be....'.  Mine doesn't say 'Married with kids', mine says 'practicing international business.' 

But, now I have kids and I wish that I had even an ounce and I do mean an ounce of those skills.  They are key to raising kids.  They are very important in my child's development, not to mention 'fun' in the process.  I get it.  I know that at this age, I need to be working on Olivia's letters, small words, etc.  But, I don't create fun with it like my mom does.  Kids gravitate to her.  Kids want to learn when they're around her.  She gets on their level.  Olivia had off from preschool on Monday and she and Harper (the 5yr old next door) spent the whole day with my mom.  Doing. Fun. Stuff.  Harper said it was the best day of her life.  I don't think any kid has or ever will say that about me.  My mom shipped a whole box of 'fun' (arts and crafts) down to Miami so it would be here when she arrived and could create all these fun activities for Olivia and her friends.  I really don't think Olivia could ask for a cooler grandma. 

How could I come directly from my mother's womb and lack this very important gene?  It was not passed on to me at all.  I want a piece of it. 

I then start to think too....if my mom was a teacher and I'm a business person....what will Olivia be when she's older?  If I had to guess right now, it would be a Hannah Montana impersonator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment