09 August 2009

Pause in the Fun....to blog about 'Your-ami'!

It looks like we are finally settled into life as we now know it! Miami, Florida......if you had ever asked me if I thought this would be 'home', I would've said you were crazy!! But, you know what?? It's really kind of fun. Shhh......don't tell anyone. Don't get me wrong. There are PLENTY of things to get used to - the rudest people ever at the nearby grocery store, Publix; the insane traffic here; the worst drivers I have ever seen...people going 30 mph and 90mph on the same highway; the lack of the English language spoken at very 'American' spots; and most of all....the worst housing market ever imagined.


Outside of that I feel very fortunate to be experiencing something 'new'. Don't get me wrong, I miss my family and my friends. And, I don't think it's been long enough to realize we won't be back near 1304 Crowley anytime soon....


But, on the flip side, I've always wanted to live somewhere else. Growing up as a kid of an air force pilot, I was always up for an adventure. I liked the thought of seeing new places and meeting new people. And, keeping in touch with friends and family despite the distance didn't seem that hard. In fact, it was part of the fun. We were always going to visit people or our house was always filled with visitors. I've managed to stay in touch with my first friend in Arizona whom I met when I was 5. 31 years later, she's now in NJ with her family and we've met up a few times in NY. My godmother was my parents first neighbor in AZ when my sister was born. She still comes to visit every year. I met Christy, my first TX friend, about 4 hours after we moved into our house in TX. Until about 4 weeks ago, she lived 30 min from us in Arlington. Before that, she lived in upstate NY and I was able to go visit her on a few business trips. And, not too long ago, my parents went to the wedding of a girl I played with in Deleware when I was 3, or something like that. Too young to remember much beyond stories, but our parents remained friends....the point is, I kind of like having all these different people from different places in my life.


And I'm excited to be able to offer that to Olivia now. She's at a great age to move. And, she seems to have that same sense of adventure. Maybe even more so. This kid is happiest when stuff is going on. Give her a hotel and an airplane and she lights up like a Christmas tree. And, the weird part is, she appreciates all of it. I can't wait to look back 30 years from now and see who her friends are from Miami that she's still in touch with. (Of course, assuming that we are NOT still here). And, I can't wait to have visitors here and look back someday on the fun we had showing them around south Florida. (We have our first one too!! Yipee!! Allison is coming in two weeks and I'm already quite excited!....officially, my Mom was our first visitor, but as she helped move us in, I don't think she had that much sight-seeing going on!)


So, for now, I'm excited about the move. House or no house. Because, I also know that someday we will have a house in a neighborhood, Olivia will be in school and Sam will have a backyard again. Until then, my secret inner 'urban' person is coming out and loving the condo living on the beach in downtown Miami Beach. Our condo is on the intercoastal side. We get to watch amazing sunsets every night and in the morning we get to watch all the people 'crewing' (is that right?). We saw a huge stingray the other morning swimming by a boat and Rachel (the condo owner and my sister's friend) says you can see dolphins swimming by from time to time. Beach access is right across the street, there's a great new kids park about a block away and we're all getting plenty of exercise taking Sam on about a million walks a day!! Although Sam is adjusting to life in the condo, that has been the biggest adjustment for us - you have to plan for a lot of extra time in the day for dog walks. And, about an hour after we moved in and I took Sam for a walk, I had a panic attack.....I suddenly remembered that I would be traveling. And, what in the world do you do when you have a 3 yr old asleep at 8pm and a dog that has to go 'potty' right before bedtime a few hours later, and there's only one adult at home??? Never thought about that....hmmm. Kyle and I tossed out many creative concepts. Fortunately for us, (or rather Olivia) we don't have to try any of them out....we found a dog walker. Another great thing about urban life. So, this week I'm gone a few nights and she'll come by every night after Olivia goes to sleep and take Sam out.



So, life is good. We're off in a bit for our first 'playdate' for Olivia. A guy on my team has a 4yr old daughter and a kids waterpark across the street from their condo. K yle and I are just excited for adult interaction and a cold cervesa! Adios compadres! Here are some pictures to let you all know that we really are here...and we really are ok!! :) Come visit!!!

I love this picture. I took it a few weeks ago on Olivia's first trip to Miami. It was taken on the balcony of our hotel after her bath from swimming at the beach.
Our child is now old enough to take pictures of us!! Thank goodness for digital. Makes it almost fool-proof! I think she did a pretty good job...don't you?
We took Olivia out for a 'fancy' dinner that night. She ate at a pretty Miami steakhouse and had a ball!! The waiter ate her up...gave her lots of extra cherries with her Shirley Temple! And even more Andes mints with the check! Can you say 'sugar-high'??
We took Olivia and Sam down to the beach one night after dinner for a walk. Guess who ended up in the water despite a sundress and no towel....or bathing suit? Part of the fun of being a kid..

No comments:

Post a Comment