18 January 2011

What do you get.....


When you have an island 21 miles x 1 mile, with 65k people and nowhere to go??  A bunch of couped up people ready to party!! 

I'm in Bermuda this week on a trip.  For the most part, it's been typical business.  However, in the last few minutes of our meeting today, 'customer' said that they had 2 extra tickets to an ABBA concert and wanted to know if me and 'employee' wanted to go.  The concert, after all, was in our hotel.  Who knew??  It certainly wasn't advertised when we checked in yesterday. 

Apparently, it's 'BermudaFest'.  Another thing I was unaware of.  Hmmm.  I have to say there was some hesitation from our side.  So, we went to dinner and decided at the last minute to show up an hour late to the concert. 

Wow!  I am SO glad I did not miss this.  For one, you cannot, no matter how hard you try, stay relaxed, serious, mad, sad, bored, enter-your-word-here, at an ABBA concert.  They are just ALL 'happy' songs!  Second, this was a true Swedish cover band that has been together for 16 years singing ABBA songs.  I felt like I was watching them live had I been over age 15 when they were around.  Third - unbeknownst to us...again.....Mike Watson, an original ABBA member and bassist was in the band.  As a special guest.  funny. 

And...last, but certainly not least....I got to experience what Bermudians do.  Because they are couped up on an island.  Did i mention this earlier??  I swear, there were people ranging from 6-90 in the audience.  And, they were all clapping, swaying, dancing, and singing.  It was hilarious.  All of them, that is, except the grumpy, grouchy 90 yr old man sitting on the middle aisle of the 3rd row that grumpily asked the happy-audience dancers to sit down mid-show because he could no longer see the pretty ladies singing on the stage.  By the end of the show, he lost his battle.  There were dozens of people dancing in the aisle and in front of the stage.  And, his grumpiness was a lost cause. 

So, that is how I spent my evening.  At an ABBA concert.  Far away from any other civilization.  With half the population of Bermuda (ok, maybe only a very small percentage) and a lot of Dancing Queens.....

This one's for you Jules!!!!!  And if you know Jules, you know exactly what I'm talking about!!!  Love and miss you!  Could not help but think about you tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment