17 December 2009

The Struggle

An anyone who has talked to me knows....I am really struggling with the weather here. I had NO idea it could have this great of an impact on any one person. Olivia doesn't notice. Give her a T-shirt and flip flops and she's as happy as a clam. But, Kyle and I.....dying. I have lived in a few places. As a kid, I lived on the East Coast. I loved the fact that you could ice skate on frozen ponds, build snowmen and bundle up to where you can't even move because it's necessary. Then, we moved to Arizona. About as opposite as you can get. Maybe it's because I was still young, but I didn't seem to mind the heat. Truth be told, I'm pretty hot natured as well. Didn't mind Az. We swam, we hiked the desert and we could drive a few hours and be in the mountains with plenty of snow. I remember many drives in Az to the mountains where blizzards came in and we were often stranded on the highway for hours. Then, TX. Yes, it's hot. But, contrary to urban legend....there are seasons. And, yes, it does get miserably hot there in the summer. But, you are rewarded with a Fall and a Spring.


So, I haven't been able to figure out why this frickin' weather bothers me so much here. During the summer when we lived on the beach, it was great. Everyone was as naked as you could get legally and we swam every day. It was the 'in' thing to be hot in Miami. But, it's the week before Christmas. It's still summer here...with 80% humidity! I'm wanting to buy new clothes, but all the stores 'stock' as if it was the rest of the country. With a 'weather change'. I'm watching these cute Gap ads with kids running around singing about their boots and sweaters and scarves....Ugh! Speaking of Uggs...not here. you're crazy.


I had the good fortune of going to Chicago this week. It was 7f! 10 below with the wind chill. Normally, not a huge fan of that either. This week....pure nirvana!! I found heaven! I read the USA Today on my plane ride home. That's when it hit me.
This is what I saw. Only, yesterday it was actually 80+ here. EVERY OTHER PART OF THE COUNTRY IS A DIFFERENT COLOR THAN S. FLORIDA!!! The recruiting company forgot to tell me this when they told me about the job. Who chooses to move to hell? Really? I actually think we really like this place deep down, but right now, I cannot get past this major roadblock. Every other part of the United States can 'feel' the holidays. Not here. It's as artificial as the tree sitting in our living room. I wish I weren't allergic to pine trees just so we could at least 'smell' Christmas if we aren't able to 'feel' it.
6 days....and counting. TX here we come!
To end on a good note...because I do really like to be 'half full' when possible. We have these really rich neighbors (too bad we can't return the blessing) and they have invited us on their 'yacht' for the weekend. It's 48ft, has 3 bedrooms, 2 baths and a kitchen. Maybe we'll run into Tiger Woods on the open seas, as I hear that's where he's hiding these days. If it's going to be H-O-T, at least we can go out and try to enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment