02 September 2009

Kaplan Comes to Visit....yes, I'm a bit behind!

Let me start by saying that it was a great site to see a familiar face!! It was weird to be picking Allison up from the airport Thursday night. She even commented that it felt weird to think that I ‘live’ in Miami as she was getting off the plane. I felt like I was meeting her for a vacation in some exotic location. Nope, just Miami.

It has been Kyle, Olivia and me for a month now. Don’t get me wrong, we love each other. But, we’re used to having family and friends around us…. A lot! So, we needed someone else in the mix to spice it up. That became obvious when Kyle texted me at the airport saying we were not to come in when we got home. Olivia wanted us to knock so she could open the door and greet Allison. I think Olivia and Kyle almost tackled each other trying to get to Allison first!!! Needless to say, Allison should feel loved! We had new conversation!! We had a guest! Olivia had a friend! And, let me tell you….Olivia was Allison’s best friend all weekend long.


Thursday night we had some wine on the balcony and caught up. The three of us tried to creatively ‘ponder’ a name for Allison’s business-to-be. As I’ve mentioned before, she’s a WHIZ at organizing people’s life. We didn’t come away with anything concrete, but sure did have some good laughs in the process!! And, Friday, we got to live the good life. Allison’s best friend lives in Boca Raton, which is about an hour north of Miami. She invited us to meet up with her family at ‘the beach club’. Let me tell you….we were on vacation the second we stepped into this place. It’s literally a resort. Like you see in Mexico or anywhere on the beach. Beautiful. 3 pools, wait staff, cabana boys. And, the beach was amazing. We think, somehow, the beach knows how to follow the money north. The sand was white, the seashells were plentiful and pretty and there were big, amazing waves. Olivia had a blast playing in the ocean. As did we. As Kyle said, somehow, the sharks must know to avoid Boca. Right? We also went out to Uncle Julio’s for dinner with everyone following ‘the beach club’. Who knew there was good Mexican food in Miami? And, that it had to be transplanted from Texas? It was a great sight to see!

The 'beach club'. I forgot to bring my camera down to the actual beach, but it was beautiful.
The three amigos hanging in the kiddie pool.....

Allison, Jared and Olivia at Uncle Julio's. Yum.

….Sat can be wrapped up like this – we miraculously got Allison in to see the new house (remember, I said the current owners were nice?? Still hard to believe), stumbled across this great little ‘shack’ in Coconut Grove that really made us feel like we were in ‘Margaritaville’, to the pool for some swimming and then…..Allison and I got ready for our way down to South Beach. Here’s the thing about South Beach. It doesn’t even get started until AFTER 10pm. We’re usually making the final dog-walk around that time. But, Allison and I were ready for the challenge. After getting ready, we walked out to a surprise from Kyle….he’d made us a cheese plate and opened a bottle of wine. Funniest part was Olivia. She sat right down with the three of us and proceeded to join us for some Boursin, brie, peppered salami and crackers. Great kid. In her pj’s. As we were getting ready to go out.

Allison and Olivia at 'the shack'. i can't even remember the name. Shorty's or something like that. Very cool. Right on the water in the marina.




The night was a success. Allison and I made it to the brand new W hotel and The Delano. Our biggest observation as we were dressed in jeans and a top (me) and maxi dress (Allison), is that we do not own anything SHORT enough to go out in Miami. It’s the craziest thing I’ve ever seen. I think the people just wear their shirts out. Needless to say, we were the most conservative two in the crowd. But, we made it out until 1:30am. Not quite the 4am norm in Miami, but good enough for us.

Before 10pm on the balcony at the casa. Do we look awake?
Me and Allison at The W. Our first martini together in Miami!
Apparently THIS is why you need super-ridicuously-short clothes to go out in South Beach....little did we know that part of the bar/dance floor was actually in.the.pool. Crazy, I tell you.

We miss you Allison!! Come back and visit…..anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment