04 November 2009

Reaching back to Modern Society....

Buenos dias amigos!!! I have finally been able to get a good enough connection on my laptop to get on and 'blog'. I just hope it stays long enough for me to hit 'publish'.

I am at Day 3 of 'The Trip'. This has been an amazing trip so far and I have a feeling that when I have the time to write more about it, words will be difficult to describe everything. I've been keeping notes of my thoughts and things I've seen, along with the 300+ pictures/video's I've logged at this point. It will take me awhile to get everything uploaded once I get back, but I'm anxious to compile everything.

The trip really began the minute Kyle, Olivia and I went to meet everyone at 'Terminal F' in MIA. I had never been to that terminal before. It was an experience in itself. First, it was PACKED with people. As one guy on our team said, Latin Americans take 20 people to the airport just to say good-bye. So, for every person on our plane (and it was a 727), there were dozens there with them. You couldn't even move. And, even worse, for every person on the plane, they had bags and bags and bags of things they were taking back. It wasn't actually just bags......along with the bags (that were wrapped 4 inches thick in plastic wrap), there were tires, bikes, a refrigerator, TV's, laptops, you name it. Whatever they can bring in, they will take.

So, more on that later, but it got me to thinking about what I could possibly find once here. Nothing can prepare you. The people here are incredible. Some of the kindest people I've ever had the privelege of meeting. By far, the most repressed place I've ever been to. No question. Which is probably obvious. You hear that this place is stuck back in time. Nothing can describe it more. It is 1960 here. Nothing has been touched since then. Almost nothing. And, some things have even gone back since then. Horse & buggies are a fairly common mode of transportation.

One of the most amazing experiences of being here is that I'm with two people that left to the states back in 1960. One was 7yrs old and the other was a 'baby' inside his mother's stomach. Seeing it through their eyes, their heritage, the emotion, the passion and the admiration for the people here has been like nothing else I can relate to. We've seen the houses they or their families grew up in. And the 96yr old lady still living in one of them that remembers 'the Dr that married the French woman'. (the guy's grandfather and grandmother). We had a tour guide the first afternoon that makes $6 a month. And, taxes taken out of that. But, still the kindest person ever. Genuinely happy to give us the history lesson. There is no violence here. There is no chaos. Well, there is chaos, but it's different. People don't honk their horns. They don't drive crazy. They aren't in a hurry for anything. They bike 40 miles each way just to get where they are going. It is very peaceful. In a weird way that has been difficult to describe.

I have completely rambled, but like I said, I'm having a difficult time putting my thoughts together. This trip has been wonderful and a 'life experience'. I am so fortunate to be here. And, I can't wait to get my pictures together to share.

-Kristin

1 comment:

  1. I'm sooooo jealous ! i can hear the lump in your throat as i read your writing. i want to hear EVERYTHING about your trip and you better post pictures. I've always wanted to go.

    your having a great life at this moment - enjoy and savor !
    Fran

    ReplyDelete